Job Title: Software Engineer (Contractor) – Wikimedia Foundation Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: Wikimedia Foundation
Duty Station: Remote
Wikimedia Foundation Profile
The Wikimedia Foundation’s Education team works with the education sector and a global community of volunteers to ensure that free knowledge projects like Wikipedia make a meaningful impact on global education goals. We are building a world where knowledge is available and equitable for everyone, and people have the skills and information they need to thrive in the digital age.
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Software Engineer to join our team, reporting to the Engineering Manager, Language team. As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for building and maintaining our localisation infrastructure and translation tools. In this role, you will be working as a full-stack developer in a distributed product team and writing open-source, peer-reviewed code. Your work will both help developers to write multilingual software as well as support translation and creation of multilingual content.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Developing software in sprints following the team’s development plans and participating in code reviews
- Maintaining the quality of the software by refactoring and ensuring sufficient test coverage and documentation
- Monitoring the behavior of the code in production and address production issues
- Supporting our software translation process to ensure reliable and timely integration of translation updates
Skills and Experience:
- Good verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills to be able to work in a fully remote, distributed team across various time zones
- Ability to perform tasks that require use of command line interfaces
- Developing with a version control system
- BS or MS degree, preferably in Computer Science or Linguistics, or equivalent work experience
- Experience doing code reviews and using code review software is a plus
Qualities that are important to us:
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Collaborative working experience
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience working on open source projects
- Passion for free knowledge and open source
- Fluency in multiple natural languages
- Special interest in a software development area, such as performance, security, internationalization or usability.
- System administration experience
How To Apply for Wikimedia Foundation Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates can submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: Open until filled
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.