Job Title: Compliance Officer – Wave Mobile Money Jobs 2022
Organization: Wave Mobile Money
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Wave Mobile Money Profile:
We’re making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That’s for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We’re solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d’Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that’s where you come in….
We’re looking for a Compliance Officer to oversee compliance with laws, regulatory requirements, policies, and procedures. You’ll identify and document regulatory risks and assist the Compliance lead in developing controls. Reporting to the Risk and Compliance Manager, you’ll implement Wave’s established standards and procedures to ensure that the compliance programs efficiently identify, prevent, detect, and correct non-compliance.
Roles and responsibilities:
Your regular tasks include:
- Reviewing KYC / KYA / KYM for compliance.
- Analyzing AML monitoring and sanction screening alerts triggered by our screening and monitoring tools.
- Conducting internal reviews periodically to ensure that compliance procedures are followed.
- Conducting the internal investigation of compliance issues, complaints, and whistleblowing alerts from stakeholders.
- Participating in non-compliance risk assessments of products, services, and activities.
- Ensuring the existence of effective regulatory watch with an up-to-date library of the applicable Legal & Regulatory texts.
- Conducting and responding to due diligence requests from & to our partners.
- Preparing periodic and ad hoc compliance reports with regulatory agencies.
- Contributing to the implementation of the compliance program.
- Providing guidance, advice, and/or training and educational programs to improve business’ understanding of related laws and regulatory requirements.
- Investigating Suspicious Transactions Reports (STRs) to the Financial Intelligence Authority (FIA).
- Other duties may be assigned as the business may require.
- You’ll work from our office in Kampala and travel to field locations.
- Work authorization in Uganda is required.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents – we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized child care when you return to work.
- We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships, fitness classes, and workout equipment.
- Airtime reimbursement.
- Free food and a beautiful office space.
- 3+ years relevant experience in mobile money, banking, or other financial sectors.
- A bachelor’s degree or masters in Law, Computer Science, Finance, Accounting, Risk Management, Business & Economics, or comparable fields.
- 2+ years in Compliance, Internal Audit, Internal Control and Risk Management.
- Fluent in English.
- Any reputable Compliance professional Certificate would be an added advantage.
- Fluency in any local language will also be an added advantage.
You might be a good fit if you
- Have good analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Are self-motivated and able to work under pressure.
- Have strong computer applications skills.
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication.
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Have participated as a team player in achieving key results.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Are willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D’Ivoire, Mali, Benin and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We’re deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You’ll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How To Apply for Wave Mobile Money Jobs 2022
All interested and qualified candidates should apply online at the link below.
Closing Date: Open until filled
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.