US Embassy Uganda Jobs 2022 – Maintenance Mechanic (Plumbing)
August 31, 2022
Job Title: Maintenance Mechanic (Plumbing) – US Embassy Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: US Embassy Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
US Embassy Uganda Profile:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Natalie E. Brown currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centres for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
Will complete assigned tasks within the allotted time established in the Collaborative Management Initiative (CMI) service standards, and according to International Building Code (IBC) standards. The incumbent specializes in plumbing and mechanical systems operation and maintenance. Systems include but are not limited to; water supply and storage, filtration, disinfection and other water treatments, hot water systems and equipment, piping, tubing, fittings and controls, irrigation, domestic plumbing fixtures including waterless urinals, drainage, sanitary systems, on-site sewage treatment, and storm water management.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Operations & Maintenance Support 90%
- Performs preventive maintenance and repairs on plumbing/mechanical systems including air compressors, fire suppression systems, commercial and domestic toilet facilities, fixtures, valves, piping, domestic water and sump pumps, water supply boosters, water sewage treatment systems, domestic and solar water heaters, fuel pumps, oil-water separators and grease traps to ensure optimal and un-interrupted operation of the mechanical systems. Duties also include maintenance of gutters and roof drains, storm drains, and the irrigation systems as applicable. Responds to scheduled, unscheduled and preventive maintenance work orders generated by the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Identifies and corrects infrastructure and equipment problems by performing plumbing and associated mechanical inspections every day as part of a proactive maintenance plan to maintain facilities and equipment in an efficient operating condition, prevent degradation of property, equipment, and system components, and prevent failures that would cause service interruption. Ensures that all assigned maintenance tasks are carried out promptly as described in the work orders, and in accordance with manufactures repair or replacement requirements. The following systems are part of the incumbent’s responsibility: domestic hot and cold-water piping systems, wastewater piping systems and vent stacks, storm water management systems, chilled water systems, water treatment facilities, swimming pool equipment, fire suppression systems, compressed air
systems, and irrigation systems. The incumbent will be required to make repairs using many different types of pipe and fittings such as PVC and CPVC, copper, galvanized, concrete, black, etc.
- Responds to emergency calls during off-duty hours, 24 hours a day / 7 days a week (24/7), when critical systems have stopped functioning, or there is an imminent threat to the life safety of personnel, or structure integrity.
- Assists with monitoring the work of specialty service contractors, as delegated, and provides feedback to the Supervisory Building Engineer and/or the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager concerning the contractor’s quality of work.
- Monitors weekly and monthly water (potable and gray water) system performance to maintain system reliability and provides report on any discrepancies to the Supervisory Building Engineer and the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager.
- Performs regular checks for consumable material usage. Monitors spare parts and materials inventories and reorders items when low stock levels are reached. The incumbent will provide detailed and concise written reports in English to the Supervisory Building Engineer, the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager, and upper-level management personnel as required. Ensures proper use of time, tools and materials and that the work areas are kept clean and safe.
Logistic Support 10%
- Collateral duty assignments will be at the discretion of the Supervisory Building Engineer or the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager. Other assigned duties are to support post activities including relocations, emergency actions, escorting, special Embassy functions, and monitoring contractors on site. The incumbent may be required to assist other Facility Management Locally Employed (LE) Staff and other shops as part of the maintenance team effort on special assignments.
Minimum Qualifications for US Embassy Uganda Jobs 2022:
EDUCATION: Completion of secondary school is required. Completion of vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level plumbers and mechanical system specialist trained in the maintenance of commercial or industrial buildings/facilities is required. Training through a recognized apprenticeship program provided by a trade union is considered acceptable.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three (3) years’ experience working as a journey-level plumber in the repair and maintenance of plumbing/mechanical systems in commercial or industrial facilities is required. Must have experience working with PVC, CPVC, copper, galvanized, concrete, and black pipe, circulation and well pumps, and water treatment equipment.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: The incumbent is required to have a thorough, technical understanding of major building plumbing/mechanical systems and equipment, with a specialty in plumbing systems. Familiarization with general mechanical systems, including domestic hot and cold-water piping systems, wastewater piping systems and vent stacks, storm water management systems, chilled water systems, water treatment facilities, swimming pool equipment, fire suppression systems, compressed air systems, and irrigation systems is required. Familiarization with the many different types of pipe and fittings (PVC and CPVC, copper, galvanized, concrete, black, etc.) is required. Must know how to diagnose the root cause of a problem and what materials and equipment will be needed to facilitate repairs. Must know how to work safely on equipment, systems and associated components including the use of lock-out / tag-out safety measure. Knowledge of IBC standards, and fire and life safety codes is required.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: Level II (Limited Knowledge) reading/writing/speaking of English is required.
Luganda level III (Good knowledge) Written/Speaking/Reading is required. In order to communicate with local contractors and other LE Staff.
How To Apply for US Embassy Uganda Jobs 2022
All those interested in working with the United States Embassy, US Mission in Kampala should send their applications online at the link below.
Closing Date: 8th September 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.