Job Title: Registered Nurse – US Embassy Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: US Embassy Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Position Number: Kampala-2022-018
US Embassy Uganda Profile:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Natalie E. Brown currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centres for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
The incumbent serves as the post’s nurse with responsibilities that include the medical care of Mission employees and eligible family members under MED approved clinical guidelines, as well as maintenance and inventory of all medical equipment and supplies, implementation of a robust vaccination program, administration of group and individual health education programs, and medical emergency contingency planning for the Mission. The incumbent will work in the Medical Unit under the direct supervision of the Regional Medical Officer (RMO) or Medical Provider (MP).
Roles and Responsibilities:
Direct Patient Care Responsibilities 50%:
- The incumbent is responsible for maintaining a primary care/urgent care clinic for all ICASS eligible DHA American Employees and their eligible family members. In addition, they will maintain an occupational health unit for all embassy employees, LES, Contractors, and DHA.
- They will evaluate and assess patients within their scope of training by means of a health history, observation, interview, physical examination and selected diagnostic measures.
- They will review and interpret the medical history and record and apply appropriate diagnostic measures.
- Working within the Nursing Scope of Practice, they will select appropriate actions including treatment, referral for additional care, or collaborate care with Medical Unit providers.
- They will document and maintain an appropriate record of all patient visits in the Medical Unit.
- The incumbent will provide appropriate patient education such as wound care, diabetes care, or other specific health related topics as needed.
- They will respond to all Mission clinical medical needs as requested/required to include home visits, hospital visits, and compound emergencies.
- The Nurse will participate in after-hours call responsibilities with other Medical Unit members. Initiates DS-3067, Authorization for Medical Services for Employees and Dependents for urgent/emergency or non-elective hospitalizations.
- Requests fund cite from appropriate agency.
- Conducts hospital visits to assess appropriate health care of the patient during hospitalization.
- Informs MED/Foreign Programs of all overseas hospitalizations and status.
Medical Evacuations 10%:
- Arranges Medevacs though RMO/MP and in coordination with MED/Foreign Programs or appropriate Regional Medevac Center.
- Drafts MED Channel cables and referral documents with appropriate medical coding.
- Coordinates requests for specialty appointments with accepting medevac site and serves as liaison between local providers and MED when necessary. Requests fund cites from appropriate agency.
- Assists patients with access to medical services prior to evacuation and may accompany patient as a medical attendant when necessary.
Medical Clearance examinations: 10%
- Prepares cables for fund cites requests and verifies and approves Clearance-related medical and laboratory invoices for payment.
- Schedules medical appointments, labs, and special tests as required by MED/Clearances.
- Assists medical personnel with clinical examinations performed in the medical unit and performs basic diagnostic tests as approved by the RMO or MP.
- Reviews all completed medical clearance papers for thoroughness and transmits to MED/Clearances. Packages and ships laboratory specimens as necessary.
Immunization Clinic for routine and travel-related immunizations 10%
- The incumbent will assess each patient’s immunization needs and using CDC and ACIP guidelines provide appropriate immunizations.
- Maintains logs and/or appropriate data bases compliant with U.S. Federal Regulations and requirements.
- They must budget for, order and rotate all stocks of vaccines.
- Remain current with vaccination requirements and adverse events.
Custody and Proper Internal Controls for the Medical Unit and Mission Medical Response 10%:
- Maintains inventory and procurement process for all medical supplies and medical equipment.
- Performs workplace health and safety surveys with the POSHO.
- Maintains an accident log book and provides essential reporting per MED/SHEM guidelines and in conjunction with HR requirements.
- Serves as the Emergency Preparedness Coordinator and is responsible for all aspects of maintenance, inventory, and training regarding emergency medical supplies and equipment on all USG facilities under Chief of Mission Authority.
Relationship with Local Medical Providers and Facilities 10%
- Maintains a list of acceptable local medical consultants and copy of their credentials. Identifies quality providers and facilities in local community and works with the RMO/MP to develop a referral network of providers/facilities that is vetted and assures the best quality of care for the Mission members.
- Monitors public health issues that may impact the Mission community and coordinates with the RMO/MP and Administration regarding appropriate responses.
- Works with RMO/MP/RMO-P/RMLS and Post Medical Advisor to assess level of care at clinics, laboratories, blood banks, hospitals, and individual providers to update and maintain the MCI registry of services.
Note: This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by incumbent. Incumbent will be required to perform other duties as assigned by the agency.
Minimum Qualifications for US Embassy Uganda Jobs 2022
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the United States US Embassy Registered Nurse job opportunity should have a Degree (RN Level) in Nursing or Diploma/Certificate equivalent from an accredited School of Nursing. Must possess and maintain a valid nursing license or a current unrestricted Registered Nursing license from the host nation, country of origin, or the U.S.
- At least two (2) years of post-qualification work as a professional nurse is required.
- On the job administrative training and working knowledge in emergency preparedness, management of medical evacuations, management principles of supporting VIP visits, and specific principles of medical support during natural and weapons of mass destruction disasters will be provided. The incumbent will maintain a current Basic Life Support certification (this certification will be provided through DOS sponsored CNE training).
- The incumbent possesses critical-thinking skills and comprehends MED’s policies and procedures regarding medical evacuations, hospitalizations and insurance reimbursement methodology. Must maintain current knowledge of local and regional medical services that can provide care for all acuity levels, including betted specialists and hospitals. Is a resource for arranging the best method to transport critically ill patients and maintains a working relationship with transport facilities.
- The position requires strong interpersonal skills and a client-oriented disposition capable of dealing with a complexity interactive challenges in difficult and emotional situations.
- Must have a solid working knowledge of MED’s RN Clinical Practice Guidelines and be familiar with American Nursing Standards of Care. Must be able to perform basic word processing on computer.
- Language Proficiency: List both English and host country languages(s) proficiency requirements by level (II, III) and specialization (sp/read). English level III (Good Working Knowledge) Language required.
How To Apply for US Embassy Uganda Jobs 2022
All those interested in working with the United States Embassy, US Mission in Kampala should send their applications online at the link below.
Closing Date: 16th June 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.