Search For Jobs offers in Uganda
Job Title: Legal Assistant – UPPC Jobs 2021
Organization: Uganda Printing and Publishing Corporation
Duty Station: UPPC Head Office, Entebbe
Accountable to: Legal Officer
Uganda Printing and Publishing Corporation Profile:
UPPC is a public enterprise that is fully owned by Government. It was established in 1992 by the UPPC Act, Cap 330. Section 2(2) of the UPPC Act provides that the Corporation shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and may sue or be sued in its corporate name.
The Corporation started out as the Government Printer under the British Colonial Government in 1902. In 1962 the Department remained under Office of the President. During that time, it was funded using public funds allocated under the Government Printer Vote and its role was to supply stationary and provide printing and publishing facilities to all Government Ministries and Departments.
Due to the important role played by the Corporation in the printing of all Bills, Statutes and Official Gazette, Cabinet classified it under Class I among those public bodies that Government has to retain full ownership of.
The Legal Assistant will spearhead the indexing project by ensuring all laws published and printed by UPPC are properly categorized by arranging and updating them alphabetically, attaching the principal laws to their respective amendments and statutory instruments. He/ she will search for missing Gazettes and laws and update them in physical and soft copy files (with full citations).
He/she will ensure that there is a fully functioning digital database of all products of UPPC. They will also be charged with the implementation of the Uganda Printing and Publishing Corporation (Gazette Notices) Regulations, 2021.
Roles and responsibilities:
1. Arranging and updating the Law index alphabetically by attaching the principal laws
to their respective amendments and their respective statutory instruments
2. Finding all laws and updating the physical and soft copies (with full citations)
3. Searching for missing Gazettes and updating the physical and soft copy files
4. Updating the server archive and the registry with all the laws and reprint of hard
copies of missing laws
5. Ensure that the UPPC internal databases and website pages are regularly updated;
6. Working with database software to find ways to store, organize and manage UPPC
7. Liaising with programmers, applications/operational staff, IT managers and other
technical staff in respect to building a digital database for all UPPC product
8. Writing reports, documentation and digitalization operating manuals
9. Assists in the preparation of legal documents and publications for electronic storage,
access and circulation/publication, including document scanning and conversion,
review of content and extraction of key data and text excerpts for categorization and
10. In collaboration with records and Production Department, sets up and maintain
reference files/records (electronic and paper) for all publications made under the
11. Contact and follow up with Ministries, Departments and Government Agencies with
respect to all notices they are by law required to Gazette
12. Coordinates administrative services (e.g., verification and certification of documents
for the client);
13. Performs other ad hoc duties as assigned from time to time.
Minimum Qualifications for UPPC Jobs 2021
i. An Honors Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized university;
ii. A postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice from a recognized institution is an added advantage.
iii. At least 3 years’ working experience;
iv. Computer literacy in MS Word, Spreadsheets, excel, power point presentation and data analysis packages will be an added advantage.
v. Experience in the preparation of legal documents for electronic storage, access and circulation/publication is highly desirable.
Interested persons who meet the required specifications are invited to apply by enclosing a cover letter, an up-to-date CV, copies of academic transcripts and certificates, telephone contact and three professional referees by email to: [email protected]
NOTE: All the above listed “Documents” should be sent as a SINGLE DOCUMENT. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. *Please note that UPPC does not solicit funds during any recruitment process.
Closing Date: 25th June 2021 at 5:00 pm
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.