Job Title: Intern (Innovation) – UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: UN World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Moroto, Uganda
UN World Food Programme (WFP) Profile:
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
The Innovation Intern will support the Head of Area Office to facilitate and foster innovation in the context of WFP activities in Karamoja, help innovation projects to scale, develop and establish local innovation ecosystems in Karamoja sub-region to help achieve sustainable food and nutrition security in Karamoja.
The Innovation Intern will support the development and growth of impactful and sustainable innovations by leveraging WFP brand, public and private partners, deep field access, and expertise to develop, nurture and scale sustainable innovations to increase food and nutrition security in Karamoja sub-region. The Intern will participate and support the identification of problem statements or (market) opportunities, sourcing of innovations, management of innovation programme implementation and events with the support of the country office, and support the scale-up of innovations through partnerships management and close coordination with relevant WFP and external stakeholders.
Roles and responsibilities of UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021:
Drive New Opportunities
- Support development and execution of high-impact Area Office innovation strategy and roadmap aligned to the Country Strategic Plan, programme priorities and business goals.
- Support the management of the portfolio of disruptive initiatives focused on programme and internal business process innovation.
- Work closely with the programme and functional area business teams to create new programming approaches and internal business models to deliver innovative and impactful food assistance programmes.
- Support promotion of the Area Office innovation agenda; influence and obtain support from programme and functional area teams for successful execution of the agenda.
Build and Grow Innovation Capabilities
- Develop and maintain strong ties with all the teams in WFP Karamoja; educate and train teams on new solutions and innovations; drive innovation, presentations and innovation sessions.
- Act as the Innovation champion for the WFP in Karamoja. Encourage colleagues in WFP Karamoja to innovate and support the shift towards a thriving innovation culture that nurtures and promotes ideas from across the organisation.
- Organise education and support for new innovators amongst staff in WFP Karamoja including cooperating partners, the people that we serve etc.
- Track and report on innovation metrics, programme and business impact on a regular basis.
- Support the establishment of WFP as a recognised innovation leader in Karamoja sub-region to further enhance our brand, attract and retain talent.
- Support the identification of external assets and partners that may accelerate innovation and through partnerships.
Qualifications for UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
- Governance and Strategy: Share knowledge of governance process with teams and analyse current designs for improvements and enhancements and specify any required changes.
- Change Implementation, Project Management, Planning and Optimization: Utilise working knowledge of project and change management approaches to collect and analyse relevant data from multiple stakeholders to develop evidence-based business case for change.
- Requirement Definition & Management: Exhibit thorough understanding of business areas and processes to define, prioritize and customize solutions to requirements.
- Strategic Account Management: Facilitate open communication and discussion with the colleagues and the different teams to assess and promote understanding of need for future changes in programme design and delivery, services, products and systems, resulting in overall client satisfaction.
- Business Analysis: Demonstrate in-depth understanding of operational requirements, business issues and opportunities to conduct stakeholder and benefit analysis of options to identify effective and optimal solutions that meet business needs.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Recent graduate with second-class honours bachelors degree qualification from a recognised university (certified by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – UNESCO) in Uganda in one of the following fields: business, innovation, design, technology, international development or another relevant technical field.
- Post graduate level training or certficiation in monitoring and evaluation, project planning and management will be an added advantage.
- Graduation must be within the last 3 years (i.e. 2019 to 2021) at the time of applying for the internship.
Demonstrated minimum experience in the following areas will be an added advantage:
- Real life application of design thinking and ability to help others to develop a strong understanding of design thinking too, so they can play their part in helping drive organisational change and innovation.
- Ability to demonstrate resilience in the face of resistance.
- Have a high level of emotional intelligence demonstrated through communication and engagement with empathy. Ability to put forward truly creative ideas however crazy they might sound.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Karimojong languages and inter-cultural communication.
- High ethical standards and understanding of sensitivities pertaining to food assistance issues.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others, build and maintain partnerships, innovate and embraces change, think and act strategically, drive to achieve impactful results, manages ambiguity and complexity.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Karimojong languages.
How To Apply for UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: Open until filled
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.