Job Title: Intern (School Based Programmes) – UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: UN World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Kotido, Uganda
UN World Food Programme (WFP) Profile:
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
To support the implementation of school based programmes including planning, monitoring, coordinating, and implementing the school feeding program to enhance elevate literacy levels in Karamoja and improve health and nutrition amongst school going children.
Roles and responsibilities of UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021:
- Assist in the planning, creation and implementation of various activities and processes on the feeding – interventions for schools aligned to the WFP school feeding strategy of 2020.
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries and problems faced in the execution of feeding interventions in schools.
- Oversee the work of the DLGs/Schools and school feeding focal points at region/district providing practical advice and guidance, to contribute to delivering objectives to agreed standards and timelines.
- Support in identification of capacity gaps, organizing and conducting of capacity building activities/workshops for government stakeholders, school feeding focal points and others on various project related aspects.
- Identify and implement community engagement strategies to ensure to improve education, health, and Nutrition outcomes in the Karamoja region.
- Prepare termly call forwards/ food release notes to ensure that all schools receive both Food items and Nonfood items timely.
- Regularly visit schools to monitor the implementation of the school feeding project, identify the gaps in implementation and suggest actionable solutions to the school feeding programme in the region
- Represent field offices in community, sub-county and some district meetings on issues related to Education.
- Organize and undertake field missions to monitor the implementation the school feeding activities.
- Collect and collate information within school feeding program to demonstrate best practices.
- Monitor, update and track operational data related to the implementation and delivery of food, non-food commodities to school/project sites.
- Provide data and information for internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation, and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Support the capturing of SBP monitoring data in corporate systems.
- Support and participate in all school feeding programme related assessments within the region/Field office.
Documentation and Knowledge Management:
- Document monthly SBP progress reports and share with the relevant programme teams.
- Support in aggregation and classify the best approach of execution for wider dissemination.
- Document success stories/Human interest stories related to School Feeding programme.
- Support the Field offices/Area office with the various capacity building activities for government counterparts based on the need of the program implementation plan.
- Liaise with all stakeholders for timely implementation and speedy resolution of issues identified in the school feeding programme (district counterparts, school administrators, internal colleagues, and other partners)
- Participate in the preparation of donor missions, workshops, coordination meetings and other relevant events related to school feeding program.
- Work cooperatively with all concerned units to support effective and efficient implementation of school feeding activities.
- Support integration of SBP with other WFP programme activities in Karamoja.
- Support in implementation of WFP Uganda Country Strategic Plan (CSP) through ensuring that cross- cutting issues such as nutrition-sensitivity, gender and diversity inclusion, protection and accountability, environmental protections, and capacity development, are integrated throughout the portfolio and within the office, and to ensure equal participation and consideration of women and men, boys and girls, and people living with specific needs and/or disabilities.
Qualifications for UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect Education, health, Nutrition amongst school going children and adolescents to inform quality programme design or re-design.
- Ability to exhibit high level of creativity and innovation to design and implement Education/School feeding programmes with Karamoja context in mind.
- Demonstrated understanding of basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to school feeding programme/Education programming. Demonstrated understanding and application of basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the sub-national and community level.
Education: Completed University degree in the year 2019 and above in one of the following disciplines Social sciences with specialization in community work, Development studies, Agriculture and Education from a recognized university.
Experience: At least one year of experience in development programme, Community engagement and mobilization and Education. Experience working with communities at different levels, and in working in urban areas, and/or in challenging rural contexts, and/or working in Karamoja would be an asset.
LANGUAGE: Fluency in written and oral English language. Ability to communicate in basic Ngakarimojong, Lebthur and/or Swahili languages is a requirement.
How To Apply for UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: Open until filled
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.