Job Title: Intern (Communication for Development) – UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: UN World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Moroto, Uganda
UN World Food Programme (WFP) Profile:
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
To perform communications processes that support creation of communications content and the delivery of communication services aimed at maintaining and enhancing WFP’s visibility and reputation in Karamoja sub-region, and supporting proposal and fundraising activities.
The C4D Intern will be expected to support development and implementation of a creative, systematic, planned and evidence based strategy and process for C4D as an integral part of programme design, planning and delivery.
Through communication and engagement, as well as empowerment and participation of stakeholders (both internal and external), the people that WFP serves, communities, DLGs and development partners, the C4D Intern will promote, across the entire WFP programme portfolio in Karamoja, measurable behavioral, social change, and mobilisation. This will subsequently contribute to achievement of sustainable and concrete results on improving food and nutrition security in Karamoja sub-region.
Roles and responsibilities of UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021:
Support to Strategy Design and Development of C4D activities
- Provide support to conduct a comprehensive C4D situation analysis of social, cultural, communication, economic and political issues in Karamoja sub-region.
- Support assessment and synthesis of qualitative and quantitative information and data to establish comprehensive and evidence-based information for developing and planning WFP Karamoja Area Office C4D component of the programme portfolio.
- Participate in Area Office programme planning, reviews and delivery to determine or discuss the underlying and contextual issues to be addressed (e.g. policies, gender inequality, cultural or social behaviour etc) to ensure successful and sustainable delivery of programme results and help to formulate evidence-based approaches, strategies and plans of action for C4D to promote proactive community engagement and therefore contribute to achievement of sustainable food and nutrition security.
- Collaborate and/or consult with a wide range of internal and external partners and stakeholders to ensure synergy, integration, coherence and harmonisation of C4D activities in the WFP Karamoja programme porfolio.
Implementation of C4D Activities
- Produce and test materials to organise C4D events and activities to ensure community engagement and participation, maximum outreach and impact of programme activities.
- Confirm technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communication materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to key audiences e.g. the people that we serve, communities, DLG officials, partners, media etc.
- Recommend or select appropriate multiple media and communication formats and/or platforms (e.g. print, digital/social media. Television/radio, web etc) through which to communicate and provide visibilty for WFP activities.
- Manage design and production of C4D, visibility and other communication material and tools to be disseminated via multi-media channels for compliance with targets and plans articulated in the Area Office C4D strategy.
- Carry out C4D advocacy activities with/for a wide range of people that we serve, communities, constituents, stakeholders, partners etc to encourage/promote engagement and dialogue, inclusion, self-reliance and participation to achieve programme results.
- Identify, establish and maintain active interaction/relations with the people that we serve, communities, media present in Karamoja, academia, research (Karamoja Resilience Support Unit (KRSU), National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO) at Nabwini, etc), DLGs, the private sector and other strategic partners and networks to communicate/advocate WFP’s competencies and achievements to ensure engagement, interest and support to promote WFP’s efforts and contribution in Karamoja to achieve sustainable food and nutrition.
- Participate in monitoring activities including programme meetings and work-plan reviews to assess/report efficacy/outcome of C4D on WFP programmes in Karamoja.
- Take timely action to integrate and disseminate lessons learned in implementation of C4D initiatives.
Advocacy, Networking and Partnership Building
- Identify, build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with strategic partners e.g. community leaders, academia, research, development partners, media and communication networks, journalists, media, all sectors/levels of society, and critical audiences to reinforce cooperation and pursue opportunities for C4D advocacy to promote WFP’s work in Karamoja.
- Collaborate with Country Office Communication & Editorial Team and other Area Office C4D staff to harmonise, link and/or coordinate strategies and messaging and use of multiple media and communication platforms to enhance C4D outreach and impact.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity Strengthening
- Implement innovative practices, approaches and lates technologies on multi-media and social/digital platforms for C4D that are appropriate/available for Karamoja sub-region context and audience.
- Engage in evidence generation and research iniatives that may contribute to improved evidence in C4D practices and influence Country Office and Area Office investments in C4D for sustainable programme results.
- Provide support to institutionalise and share best practices and knowledge learned for products with internal and external stakeholders to strengthen capacity WFP and cooperating partner staff, communities, DLGs etc in evidence-based C4D planning, implementation and evaluation in support of programmes.
Qualifications for UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
- Media and Influencer Relationship Management: Demonstrate ability to respond to and/or escalate needs of media and influencers within own scope of responsibility to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organisational aims.
- Media and Communication Expertise: Collate accurate and timely information presented in required format (i.e. written or visual materials) as well as verbally, to enable information flows and informed decision making on communications issues.
- Specialised Knowledge in Communications: Exhibit specalised technical knowledge of communications channels processes, tools and techniques. In immediate area of responsibility, provides support in developing.
- Socio-political Contextual Understanding: Show awareness of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates which informs approach to daily tasks.
- Communication Strategy and Planning: Demonstrate sound understanding of WFP communications strategy and effectively implements tailored media and communications plans which support the delivery of the strategy.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Recent graduate with second-class honours bachelors degree qualification from a recognised university (certified by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – UNESCO) in Uganda in one of the following fields: social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, journalism, public relations or another relevant technical field.
- Graduation must be within the last 3 years (i.e. 2019 to 2021) at the time of applying for the internship.
- Demonstrated minimum experience in the following areas will be an added advantage: social development, programme planning, communication for development, public advocacy or another related area.
- Experience in photography, graphic design and video editing.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Karimojong languages and inter-cultural communication.
- High ethical standards and understanding of sensitivities pertaining to food assistance issues.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others, build and maintain partnerships, innovate and embraces change, think and act strategically, drive to achieve impactful results, manages ambiguity and complexity.
- Fluency in written and oral English language.
- Ability to communicate in basic Ngakarimojong, Lebthur and/or Swahili languages is a requirement.
How To Apply for UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: Open until filled
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.