Job Title: Administrative Assistant (UCU Jobs 2017)
Organisation: Uganda Christian University (UCU)
Duty Station: Mukono, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Vice Chancellor – Academic Affairs
Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital. By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education – not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
UCU Jobs 2017: The Temporary Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the day to-day running of the Faculty Office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Update lecturers on any necessary information that concerns them e.g. internal communications from the Dean and University Administration.
- Ensure that time table is working well, link Lecturers to students in cases of any need, update the Dean and the Lecturers on issues as they arise, and maintain general cleanliness and organisation of the Faculty offices.
- Tasked with the requisition and account for funds for workshops, seminars and other related activities.
- Receive communications from other Departments and Faculties for the Dean to respond to and give feedback accordingly.
- Responsible for the requisition for equipment, furniture and other supplies for the faculty and ensure their maintenance.
- Organize and attend meetings when necessary.
- Attend to students’ academic and other issues as they arise, and refer to the Dean where necessary.
- Attend to parents and guardians on issues regarding their children’s academic and social affairs.
- Handle students’ course work and examination results.
- Follow up on students and Lecturers to meet deadlines.
- Act as link between students and Dean/Lecturers and vice versa where necessary.
- Disseminate evaluation forms, for evaluating Lectures to students, receive them back, and compile them for the Dean.
- Promote rapport between Faculty administration and Lecturers/Tutors, and students for the smooth running of the Faculty.
- Make testimonials and recommendations for students for the Dean to sign whenever required.
- Actively participate in making the work plan and budget for the faculty.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Dean.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants must possess a good Bachelor’s degree from a recognized Institution of Higher learning
- At least two (2) years of working experience in a busy office environment
- Good computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, Power point and internet)
- Previous experience in minute taking
- Prior experience working at a front desk will be an added advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills especially when dealing with students, staff and visitors
- High degree of integrity with an excellent work ethic
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Must be ready and willing to work on Saturdays
- Must be self motivated
- Must be a committed and practicing Christian
How to Apply:
All qualified candidates should send two (2) copies of an application letter clearly demonstrating suitability together with updated Curriculum Vitae and three (Academic, Leadership, Pastoral) references. Please remember to attach two (2) copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts to:
The Manager, Human Resource & Administration,
Uganda Christian University,
P.O. Box 4, Mukono, Uganda
Email: [email protected] (Applications sent online should be in one PDF document)
Deadline: 9th June 2017 by 5:00 pm
UCU Jobs 2017 – Administrative Assistant