Job Title: Finance Officer – Saferworld Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: Saferworld Uganda
Job Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance & Operations Manager
Contract terms and hours: One year with possible extension basing on funding -Fixed Term and 37.5 hours a week
Saferworld Uganda Profile:
Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We
work with people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security, and conduct wider research and
analysis. We use this evidence and learning to improve local, national and international policies and practices that
can help build lasting peace. Our priority is people – we believe in a world where everyone can lead peaceful,
fulfilling lives, free from fear and insecurity. We are a not-for-profit organisation operational in 12 countries across
Saferworld is committed to providing a safe and trusted environment that safeguards our staff, partners and
communities. Our organisational integrity is derived from the values and principles that underpin and guide our
Description of Saferworld and Uganda programme:
Saferworld has been working in Uganda since 2001. Our main focus has been on supporting civil society
involvement in conflict prevention and security provision, conflict-sensitive approaches to development, and
advocating stronger national and regional controls on small arms and light weapons. Current priorities include,
delivering conflict sensitivity support to institutions and stakeholders working on issues related to land and
minerals, including working to improve conflict resolution and community safety in Karamoja, northern Uganda,
and other areas of central Uganda experiencing land conflict and insecurity.
Reporting to the Finance & Operations Manager, the Finance Officer contribute towards ensuring smooth
and efficient management of the financial systems.
- The Finance Officer will support the Finance & Operations Manager and other team members in operating
a strong financial control environment in Saferworld, including maintaining comprehensive and accurate
financial records and other bookkeeping and banking tasks.
- The Finance Officer will support the Finance& Operations Manager in ensuring the effective management
and delivery of the project; ‘addressing conflict drivers in Uganda’-a joint project (consortium) initiative
between Saferworld and TPO Uganda.
Roles and Responsibilities for Saferworld Uganda Jobs 2021:
1. Receive and process payments for suppliers, staff and any other providers of goods and services to the Organisation
- Process staff payment requests, supplier, service providers’ invoices ensuring compliance with SaferWorld
and donor agencies rules and regulations.
- Receive and review Partner Organisation fund requests and their accountabilities and ensure these
comply with Saferworld and donor requirements before forwarding for approval.
- Write cheques for approved cheque payments vouchers.
- Review payment supporting documents to ensure that they are in line with authorization levels & structure,
tax invoices match purchase orders, delivery notes and goods received notes.
- Follow up on receipts from suppliers and service providers on all payments made through electronic banking.
- Process all staff claims within a week after receipt of the approved claims.
- Consolidate all cash requirements and forward to the Finance & Operations Manager to prepare the Country Program Funds requirements.
- Ensure internal control system is functional
2. Capture all financial data in the Organisation’s Accounting Software
- Check for accuracy, completeness and coding before transactions are entered into the computerized accounting system.
- Enter all paid transactions and staff accountabilities into the computerized accounting system.
- Stamp “PAID” on all payment vouchers that have been entered into the accounting system.
- Maintain proper filing of payment vouchers in a timely and accurate manner and ensure that all supporting
documents are attached.
3. Conduct regular bank transactions
- Prepare bank instructions and deliver them to the project bankers.
- Identify and document all queries in relation to our dealings with the bank and submit them to the Finance & Operation Manager
- Act as a Project Agent with the project bankers.
4. Prepare and Submit financial reports
- Prepare timely monthly receipts reconciliation statement.
- Prepare & submit all statutory returns, such as, PAYE, NSSF and LST.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation statement.
- Prepare and submit the monthly financial expenditure report for the Country Program.
- Analyse and interpret Management reports for project teams enabling them to make informed decisions.
- Provide detailed information on Salary advances and working advances to the Regional HR/OPs Administrator.
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts to ascertain accuracy of transactions posted on the accounts and the genuineness of the balances. Submit a monthly balance sheet reconciliation schedule.
- Receive and review partner financial requests and report and ensure compliance with the Grant Agreement
- Conduct partner support visits in building the capacity of partners in sound financial management systems.
5. Manage Project Cash and Valuables
- Ensure the safe custody of money in line with Saferworld finance policies and procedures
- Reconcile all cash received and paid out.
- Receive and issue a receipt for any cash deposits received
- Pay out cash for all approved petty cash payments
- Keep safe storage of Cash, cheque books and stubs, receipt books and any other valuable documents for the office in the Organization Safe.
6. Participate in the internal and external audit exercises.
- Plan and prepare full and detailed financial schedules for internal and external audits, ensuring that the
auditors receive the necessary support and information.
- Respond to all audit queries to ensure audit objectives are met, and implement audit recommendations as
may be directed by the Finance & Operations Manager.
- Maintain a complete audit trail of all relevant documents under your custody from inception to completion
7. Perform other relevant tasks assigned by Management.
- Contribute towards the review and development of the project
Key working relationships
- Programme Teams, Finance Office UK, Human Resource and Operations Team, Head of East Africa.
Minimum Qualifications for Saferworld Uganda Jobs 2021
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in commerce, business administration, business studies or management with specialisation in finance or accounting.
- Should have part or full qualification of ACCA or CPA
- Understanding of NGO operating procedures and requirements.
- Sound experience of working in finance, administration and/or procurement in a relevant field in NGOs or INGOs.
- Sound knowledge of accounting procedures and principles.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent computer skills, specifically in Microsoft excel.
- Experience of using accounting software especially, QuickBooks, SUN system.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- A positive problem-solving approach
- Good inter-personal and team-working skills
- A willingness to promote the work of Saferworld and develop collaborative work with others
- A commitment to working in a non-partisan manner
- A commitment to learning and being open to new ideas and approaches
- Commitment to and compliance with Saferworld’s safeguarding principles
- Commitment to respect and value equality and diversity, and understanding of how this applies to own area of work
- Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Saferworld
- The post requires working closely with the Uganda and other East African team members (Where need be) and our partners under the guidance of the Finance and Operations Manager, and Finance team in London.
How To Apply for Saferworld Uganda Jobs 2021
Deadline: 31st December 2021
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.