Job Title: Attorney – Redeem Uganda Jobs 2022
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Program Manager
Redeem’s mission is to protect widows and orphans from violent abuse and exploitation by:
Awakening the world to the need to defend the orphan and the widow in the twenty-first century; Assembling the resources needed to protect the world’s most vulnerable widows and orphans; Assisting law enforcement in real cases that restore victims and restrain their abusers; and Amplifying law enforcement protection through community engagement and capacity building.
About the Project:
We are currently implementing a program in Uganda to protect widows and orphans from the devastation of predatory eviction with plans to expand our defense of the vulnerable into other countries in the future.
As a Redeem Attorney, you will represent individual victims of violence in the criminal, civil and administrative justice systems and enhance the capacities of our law enforcement partners from the Justice Law and Order Sector (“JLOS”) while contributing to Redeem’s culture of Christian excellence.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Casework Partnering with other members of the casework team in developing Redeem’s intervention strategy;
- Identifying and advising potential clients through initial interviews and Redeem’s screening process;
- Advising investigators from Redeem and the Uganda Police Force in the collection of evidence;
- Collaborating with social workers to ensure that all proceedings are appropriately trauma-informed;
- Reviewing and analyzing investigative reports, witness statements and physical evidence;
- Presenting cases for prosecution to representatives of the Directorate of Public Prosecution (“DPP”);
- Conducting legal research and analysis and drafting legal, submissions, briefs and correspondence;
- Advising and supporting State Attorneys in their prosecution of cases involving Redeem clients; and Appearing in Court in civil matters and to privately prosecute criminal matters as appropriate; and Participation in estate administration, boundary demarcation and land documentation proceedings.
- Capacity Building Developing strong working relationships with the DPP’s Prosecutors and State Attorneys;
- Identifying lessons learned and opportunities for improvement from Redeem’s casework;
- Participating in local stakeholder coordination meetings or in other similar JLOS coordinating bodies;
- Providing direct casework support to DPP Prosecutors and State Attorneys in Redeem cases; Mentoring and advising DPP Prosecutors and State Attorneys in cases related to Redeem’s work;
- Developing and facilitating trainings and equipping projects that will improve DPP performance;
- Contributing to the team’s efforts to build capacities in all relevant JLOS actors;
- Participating in community outreach, engagement and education programs; and Advocating on behalf of Redeem and the DPP with JLOS and other relevant governing bodies.
- Miscellaneous Communicating with donors, supporters, media and other outside parties about Redeem’s work; Contributing to the review and design of organizational systems, guidelines and policies; Participating in Redeem’s professional development and spiritual formation activities; Supporting other teams within Redeem in the achievement of their objectives; and Completing other duties as assigned.
Redeem strives to build a culture of Christian excellence that reflects the following four core values:
We love each other well; We don’t make easy things hard; We measure by results; and We are joyful in our work.
- The ideal applicant must hold a Degree in Law, successful completion of the LDC and a current Practicing Certificate;
- Two years of practice as an attorney in an active civil or criminal litigation practice;
- Five years of practice as an attorney in an active civil or criminal litigation practice; Preferred: Experience in conducting casework similar to that of Redeem’s;
- Experience as a DPP Prosecutor or State Attorney; and
- Experience working with JLOS actors.
- Fluency in English and Lugisu with excellent written and oral communication in both;
- Computer literacy with strong capacity in word processing, email and other systems;Legal research, legal analysis, legal writing and legal advocacy skills;
- Mastery of criminal, estate and/or land law and procedure in Uganda;
- Understanding of Google business suite and digital project management tools; and
- Public speaking and or teaching skills.
- Mature Christian faith;
- High degree of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness;
- Strong teamwork, interpersonal skills and ability to work on a multidisciplinary team;
- Excellent independent professional judgment and ethical decision-making;
- Innovative and creative problem solving in the face of complex nuanced issues;
- Persistence and tenacity in the face of difficult problems or challenges;
- Commitment to meet deadlines and achieve results in fast-paced environment; and
- Love-motivated service orientation toward colleagues, partners and adversaries.
- The Attorney will report to Redeem’s Program Manager and will be based in Mbale, working primarily in the Bugisu region with occasional travel throughout Uganda.
How To Apply for Redeem Uganda Jobs 2022
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume, with copies of their academic credentials, to the Human Resource Manager at rmus[email protected]
Deadline: 27th June 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.