Search For Jobs offers in Uganda
Job Title: Laboratory Technologist – MRC/ UVRI Uganda Jobs 2020
Organization: MRC/ UVRI Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
MRC/ UVRI Uganda Profile:
The Unit is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social-behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018.
The exciting new partnership will boost research capacity into current and emerging health issues in Africa and throughout the world. The Unit is based at the UVRI Entebbe campus with established outposts in Kalungu, Masaka, Wakiso and Kampala Districts.
• Receiving, processing and storing study samples according to SOPs so as to maximize their quality in subsequent testing;
• Performing SOP-guided laboratory experiments assigned by scientists or supervisor in order to produce reliable and precise data for scientific investigations: ELISpot, Binding
• antibody ELISAs, flow cytometry, Neutralisation assays, PCR, sequencing among others;
• Implementing GCLP practices: Cleaning and disinfecting equipment; Tracking equipment servicing requirements; Monitoring temperatures and liquid nitrogen levels; Data backup; Running equipment performance QCs;
• Ensuring that required reagents and supplies are in sufficient stocks and are kept securely in recommended conditions;
• Performing IATA compliant shipment of samples to and from partner laboratories;
• Ensuring health and safety as per SOPs by conducting safety induction of new staff/students, refilling first Aid boxes, administering first aid, updating materials data safety sheets;
• Performing scientific duties by assisting in: setting up and cleaning of databases, writing reports regarding experiments; using computers to perform mathematical calculations and for the preparation of graphs; presentation of findings at local, national and international workshops/conferences;
• Assist in capacity building through demonstrating practical procedures to new staff and attachments;
• Writing and reviewing of operational and study specific SOPs;
• Supervising others, and troubleshooting of procedures and experiments; and,
• Proactive problem prevention and continuation of GCLP practices: reviewing of QC and preventive maintenance logs.
• Bachelor of Science, Biological;
• At least a credit in Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Chemistry, at UCE;
• At least D in Chemistry, Biology, Math at UACE;
• At least 2 years’ practical experience GCLP compliant medical research laboratory setting;
• Ability to process blood for PBMC storage;
• Experience working with ELISpotand ELISA assays is an added advantage;
• Experience in sterile cell culture procedures;
• Experience with clinical trials and vaccine research is an added advantage;
• Experience in preparing lab analytical plans for trial protocols;
• Project management experience is desired;
• Experience with Frezerworks;
• Equipment troubleshooting skills / GCLP/ documentation skills;
• Computer skills with proficiency in Word, Excel, Access & Power point;
• Great communication skills; and,
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Minimum of Post-secondary diploma/certificate science field or a bachelor’s degree in
• any humanities field;
• Certificate in health education/health promotion, GCP, counselling, research methods are
• an added advantage;
• At least 1 years’ experience carrying out similar work in a medical research setting;
• Experience with drawing blood.
• Experience in community mobilisation and sensitization;
• Experience in data collection and cleaning;
• Experience in mobilisation and community engagement for research;
• Experience riding motorcycles with class A riding Permit;
• Good command of both English and Luganda;
• User knowledge in computer applications; and,
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
How To Apply for MRC/ UVRI Uganda Jobs 2020:
Interested candidates should send their CV, a cover letter with copies of academic certificates including 3 professional referees and their contacts online via the link below:
Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification.
Combine all your application documentation i.e. cover letter, CV & academic documents into one PDF document.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
Consider your application unsuccessful if not contacted within eight (8) weeks after the closing date of the advert.
Deadline: 17th December 2020.