Job Title: Livestock Officer (APOLOU) – Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: Mercy Corps Uganda
Duty Station: Uganda
Mercy Corps Uganda Profile
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprise of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
Mercy Corps is looking for one (1), experienced and qualified Livestock Officer (LO), who under the supervision of the Livestock Team Leader will work to improve the economic future and quality of program beneficiaries. The LO will implement and support facilitation projects that support the growth of livestock value chains in Karamoja. Facilitation projects will include, but are not limited to, commercializing livestock value chains and live animal trading in an equitable manner, increasing profitability and provision of community animal health services, increasing fodder production, strengthening livestock input and output markets and creation of an enabling environment in Karamoja for pro-poor, nutrition sensitive livestock growth.
Roles and Responsibilities for Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2021:
Strategy & Vision
- Develop the strategy for and subsequently implement innovative actions for livestock market systems development, both in building the capacity of local livestock actors, crowding in additional actors, and ensuring an enabling environment for pro-livestock growth in Karamoja
- Actively advance Mercy Corp’s connections to livestock actors at local, regional and national level, seeking avenues for partnership, collaboration and coordination of activities.
- Work with the MSD Manager to develop livestock related research and monitoring of livestock market systems analyses, business cases and intervention plans in the selected sectors to improve impact
- Work in consultation with the Mercy Corps livestock health, Production and Marketing teams, national drug companies, district veterinary officers and other key partners in planning and implementation of veterinary service extension activities of Apolou program according to the approved work plans and budgets;
- Work with livestock producers have improved knowledge and skills and adopt practices that are nutrition sensitive and support resilience,
- Work with farmers to commercializing livestock value chains and live animal trading and profitable provision of community animal health services and increasing fodder production,
- Work with Livestock output markets to facilitate strengthening and expansion
- Work with youth to improve on and off farm livelihood opportunities in the livestock sector
- Work with the DVOs office to facilitate creation of an enabling environment in Karamoja for livestock is to support target markets and improved nutrition and security.
- Work closely with agro-vet shops and livestock traders to identify capacity gaps of CAHWs and farmers’ challenges and provide technical support, design tools and activities for improvement and follow up the implementation;
- Work in liaison with the district veterinary officers and agro-vet shops, the LTO will design and implement a supervisory plan for CAHWs to ensure quality service delivery to farmers;
- Build and maintain close coordination and co-operation with district veterinary department, ministry of agriculture, research institutions, sector working groups and development agencies to ensure synergy and improved coordination among programs/interventions;
- Work closely with NDA to oversee the work to control the illegal sale of animal drugs in the markets;
- Work with DVOs to plan and support disease surveillance activities and vaccination campaigns – including poultry and Newcastle disease, foot and mouth disease etc;
- Offer technical support to national drug companies, agro-vet shops and CAHWs to promote herd health program at kraal and household levels
Minimum Qualifications for Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2021
- The applicant must hold a Degree in Animal related Science (Veterinary medicine, Animal Production Technology and Management, Animal Husbandry and Management) or its equivalent from a recognized university.
- Three years of relevant experience with proven technical experience in the field
- Willingness to spend much time in the field and work closely with Input dealers, PVPs, Trader associations, Community animal health workers, Livestock champions and communities.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide range of partners, private sector, government, and civil society.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of office/Microsoft 365.
- Excellent teamwork, networking and community consultations skills
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Excellent reporting, communication and presentation skills.
- MUST be able to ride a motorcycle and MUST possess a valid riding permit.
- Good spoken and written English. Fluency in Pokot is required.
How To Apply for Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: 7th January 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.