Job Title: Legal Officer – IRC Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
International Rescue Committee (IRC) Profile
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
Under the supervision of Senior Protection Officer, she/he will identify legal needs in the field; provide counseling, information and legal options. The Legal Officer will be responsible for conducting legal information sessions, legal case management and follow ups, detention facility visits, awareness creation on rights and obligations of refugees under Ugandan Laws. She/he will work with communities particularly Paralegals to ensure access to legal assistance is accessible by all.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with Community Paralegals to support community leadership groups, especially Neighborhood Watch Committees to support advocacy at the community level along with Protection Officers.
- Undertake regular monitoring and visits of detention and prison facilities.
- Provide legal counseling, information and available legal options to refugees and other persons of concern.
- Conduct legal information sessions on human rights and key Laws relating to protection of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Conduct case management and follow up on legal cases with relevant authorities.
- Closely work with Police to provide necessary assistance to survivors and witnesses.
- Submit daily and weekly data, including narrative of high-risk cases to inform appropriate actions.
- Participate in legal trainings as directed by the Senior Protection Officer.
- Perform any other duty as assigned by the Senior Protection Officer.
- Support Community Paralegals to conduct legal information sessions on rights and obligation of refugee, key offences and punishments in Uganda, International human rights laws relating to refugees and other persons of concern.
- Support the Senior Protection Officer to analyze data, highlight trends and legal protection needs of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Supervise community Paralegals in undertaking mediation and other aspects of alternative dispute resolutions.
- Support the Senior Protection Officer in delivering legal trainings on national and international legal frameworks to targeted audiences.
- Raise PRs to support procurement processes.
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized university.
- At least two (2) years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international Organization for degree holders. Diploma holders who can provide a significant experience of working with refugee communities and demonstrate an awareness of the challenges in this role may be considered.
- Belief in human rights including gender equality.
- Strong communication skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
- Good understanding of International Human Rights and Refugee Law.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Experience in regular report writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Good standard of spoken and written English language skills is essential.
How To Apply for IRC Uganda Jobs 2022
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: 20th June 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.