Job Title: Junior AI & Bioinformatics Trainee – IDI Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: Infectious Disease Institute
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Infectious Diseases Institute Profile:
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is a Ugandan not-for-profit organization whose mission is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with strong emphasis on infectious diseases, through research and capacity development. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAP-certified IDI Core Lab & Translational Lab), Global Health Security and Health System Strengthening.
IDI is looking for a talented Junior AI & Bioinformatics Trainee to support AI and Machine Learning applications in Health in the COAST project. Work will include:
- Leading on the decision support system for the call for life (CFL) Covid for Workstream 2 (Detection and diagnosis tools for improved patient care and management) of the COAST project. This will involve working closely with the Academy Call for Life team and the ACEi team to develop the decision support algorithm for CFL COVID. The AI trainee will report to Daudi Jingo, Head of ACEi, but will have regular communication from the Academy COAST Investigator.
Other activities may include:
- Support of COVID-19 Chatbot development team
- Support data modelling team in COVID forecasting
- Integration of genomic and clinical data into applications
- Testing and validating algorithms for HIV decision support within IDI datasets
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Interrogate, understand and manage the Call for Life COVID dataset in preparation for decision support
- Curate annotated datasets for Supervised Learning methods
- Testing and validating algorithms for CFL COVID and other health applications
- Train the developed model and run evaluation experiments
- Supporting data visualization of complex health datasets
- Curating and validation/proof reading of text and audio data
- Working with Natural Language processing lead to work with language data analysis
- Devise data representation and visualization protocols
- Evaluate algorithms and tools for COVID related app tasks including chatbot, interactive voice response tools and decision support system
- Organize and interpret biomedical data (genomic, clinical and epidemiological) for the projects
- Assist with feature selection and algorithm optimisation
- Remain updated in the rapidly changing field of machine learning
- Learn and adapt NLP and NLU techniques for project’s work streams
- Compilation and writing of project reports
- Attend Academy CFL and other relevant meetings
- Attend relevant ACEi meetings
- Attend COAST project meetings and steering committee meetings as appropriate
- The applicant should have proven training in data science and its application on biomedical or health data
- Training in bioinformatics and computational biology
- Previous or ongoing engagement with a biomedical research project
- Understanding of ML techniques for text representation, semantic extraction techniques, data structures and modeling
- Deep understanding of health data representation techniques, statistics and classification algorithms
- Knowledge of Python, Unix and R
- Able to work in a team environment
- Experience with machine learning frameworks (like Keras or PyTorch) and libraries (like scikit-learn)
- Outstanding skills in machine learning methods and techniques.
- MSc level training in bioinformatics and/or data science
- Strong writing and communication skills
- An analytical mind with problem-solving abilities
How To Apply for IDI Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
IDI will offer a competitive remuneration package to the successful candidate. Candidates that know that they meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in the above position, please send an application letter and their CVs which should include certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact at the link below.
Deadline: 17th October 2021
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.