Vacancy Notice: Internal/External Vacancy notice: 025/2016
Position Number: 10026370
Location : Adjumani
Position Grade: NOA
The NOA Assistant Nutrition Officer supports UNHCR contribution towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and ensures that UNHCR and international nutrition minimum standards are met to minimise avoidable mortality and morbidity among populations of concern. S/he coordinates a network of country-level focal points based in the provinces and provides technical support to UNHCR field offices, Implementing partners and various Sections in the area of nutrition within UNCHR Operations in DRC. His/her technical knowledge and support skills are essential to ensure decisions that impact positively on the survival and well-being of UNHCR populations of concern. S/he facilitates country-level coordination of nutrition focal points, so that nutrition programme planning and implementation is streamlined, resources are optimally utilised and there is active participation of the Government, implementing and operational partners, refugees and other persons of concern as well as sister UN agencies. S/he supports programme planning, monitoring and evaluation; promotes capacity-building of focal points from implementing partners and those from UNHCR field offices, collect and share nutrition-related information with a network of partners including the sister UN agencies, Government and Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) in DRC. S/he ensures, in close co-ordination with other humanitarian actors, that nutrition services provided to refugees, IDPs, returnees and other persons of concern to UNHCR are based on Ministry of Health/PNMLS, UNHCR and/or internationally recognised and most up-to-date standards and policies
- Represent UNHCR in nutrition -related fora at country level.
- Collect, update and disseminate nutrition-related data, information and tools to relevant partners.
- Organise/participate in nutrition-related participative need assessment and planning process during emergency situations as well as in care and maintenance and repatriation/reintegration programmes.
- Participate in review and analysis of relevant project proposals and budgetary submissions presented by UNHCR partners within context of UNHCR programme cycle.
- Make sure that nutrition-related activities are effectively implemented according to sub agreements with relevant IPs. Participate in various nutrition-related surveys and evaluations.
- Participate in elaboration and dissemination of nutrition-related database and contingency plans for potential epidemics, refugee IDPs and returnee movements.
- Produce monthly, quarterly and annual nutrition-related report for UNHCR (following the current health, HIV and nutrition information system).
- Organise nutrition-related meetings and field visits with partners on a regular basis.
- Identify training needs for IPs and persons of concern to UNHCR and plan for required trainings.
- Perform any other duty as requested.
Accountability and Authority
- Assistance is provided to UNHCR officer in establishing partnerships with government ministries, NGOs, other UN agencies and donors and coordinate planning a response to refugee-related environmental damages in the country.
- Technical advice is provided to develop project proposals and to support programme implementation of environmental and self-reliance projects.
- UNHCR management is assisted in establishing coordination, monitoring and evaluation systems, including information sharing mechanisms regarding nutrition related issues.
- Support the UNHCR Representation in coordinating matters related to environment amongst different sectors within UNHCR, the local authorities, and implementing partners.
- Represent UNHCR in relevant national meetings and technical conferences in the area of environment.
Minimum Qualification and Professional Experience Required
- University degree in Public Health, Nutrition, or Health Care (e.g. medical or nursing qualification) or related field. – Minimum 2 years previous job experience relevant to function (public health and coordination).
- Knowledge of health and nutrition in humanitarian emergencies.
- Training and experience in nutrition and health is an advantage.
- Experience working with progressively higher levels of responsibility and management with international organisations, (including non-governmental organisations and UN agencies) in field of health and nutrition.
- Practical working experience in refugee or other emergency or post-emergency settings.
- Strong communication skills, availability for frequent field visits.
- Computer skills in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Good knowledge of English language
How to apply
To apply for the job, click this link : Fresher Assistant Nutrition Officer Job – UNHCR Uganda