Organisation: British Council
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
British Council Uganda Jobs: The Administrative Assistant will maintain an administratively effective office environment: a presentable and well- organized office. He / She will support the Office Administrator and staff members with various administrative tasks related to logistics, general administration of the office, documentation and archiving.
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. We create international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and build trust between them worldwide. British Council Uganda is based in Kampala and offers a full range of programmes including examinations, project management on behalf of other donors, and its own grant funded projects. British Council has operated in Uganda since 1952 and its aim is to build cultural and educational relations between Uganda and the UK.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
General Office Administration
- Ensure that all workplace spaces, conference amenities and materials are clean.
- Hotel/flight bookings for visitors from outside Uganda and staff travelling out of Uganda.
- Ensure that office equipment and supplies are available for use. Process requests for office supplies, telephone, scanner, fax, copier, internet maintenance. Use stock cards, which should be reconciled monthly. Initiate replacement of stationery and office supplies.
- Coordinate and supervise work by service contractors and temporary drivers.
- Supporting the Office Manager to update records for EFT returns.
- Ensure that all IT equipment is in good working conditions.
- Liaise with BC IT consultants on any IT matters.
- Report to the IT consultant any PC or network problem for fast corrective action.
Logistics and Procurement Support
- Follow up any pending utility bills such as telephone, internet, rent etc.
- Collect quotations for procurement from suppliers that are on the BC Uganda approved suppliers list.
- Coordinate allocation of vehicles and keep keys to vehicles securely stored.
- Assist in reconciling fuel consumption (log books, fuel vouchers).
Knowledge Management and Record Keeping
- Ensure that a good filing structure is designed and implemented on the central G-drive.
- Upload and file all administrative and financial documents on the G-drive.
- Ensure that all soft copies file are also maintained in hard copies.
- Supporting with Inventory verification exercises.
Teams Management & support
- Ensure that all administrative processes are carried out timely, effectively, and in line with British Council policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the office runs smoothly by working in collaboration with all the staff.
Specific duties will include:
- Transportation of staff for work-related purposes, including meeting and greeting guests at airports and hotels.
- Ensuring regular maintenance of the office vehicle; this will include servicing, cleaning and any other adhoc maintenance items.
- Keeping proper records of mileage, refuelling and servicing to ensure a proper audit trail.
- General messenger duties that include; banking and postage: Collecting and distributing mail from post office and BHC, and from security desk.
- Purchasing and collecting office supplies e.g, staff café items, stationery and cleaning materials, and keeping an up to date stock record of the same.
- Supplying diesel and other items to UKAs residences where applicable.
- Providing logistical support during office meetings and project events.
- Filling, Photocopying, scanning documents and shredding sensitive documents as per British Council Records Policy as and when directed by Line Manager.
Other financial and administrative work: As required and requested by your line manager, for example: ad hoc requests from the cluster, India or London, assisting with preparing for NAO and Internal Audit visits, external auditors’ requests, any special change projects or initiatives to change procedures, etc.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the British Council Administrative Assistant job placement should possess a Diploma in business, Finance, marketing, procurement or any other relevant field. A Bachelor’s degree in business, Finance, marketing, procurement or any other relevant field is desirable.
- Existing rights to live and work in Uganda.
- Extensive knowledge, understanding and experience of financial management and administration.
- Experience of Finance and administration is desirable.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the British Council in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent, proceed with the online application.
Deadline: 16th October 2018