Job Title: Communications Officer – ActionAid Uganda Jobs 2022
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Director
ActionAid is an international Development Agency working in over 50 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. ActionAid Uganda’s mission is to achieve social Justice, gender equality, and poverty eradication by working with people living in extreme poverty and exclusion, their communities, people’s organizations, activists, social movements and their supporters.
The Communications Officer will provide technical support to all communications needs of the organisation, ensuring brand presence and visibility of AAU’s work, impact and collaborations.
Roles and responsibilities:
AAU website and social media platforms
- Manage AAU’s website and social media platform in line with the AAI/U’s Communications Policy and statutory requirements
- Develops and implement a Website and Social Media Strategy in liaison with the Country Director
- Updates the social media platforms with approved information
- Monitors information on social media for compliance with AAU standards
- Checks online platforms daily and respond to all inquiries and issues arising.
- Posts daily updates on the different campaigns or activities that AAU is undertaking
- Generates debate with posts and photos on ongoing campaigns.
AAU media relations
- Effectively maintain AAU’s strong and interactive media relations.
- Works with the Country Director to identify strategic media houses for profiling AAU work
- Builds relations with key media houses, in liaison with the Public Relations coordinator, for collaboration
- Mobilizes media houses and support press conferences to brief the media about new engagements, campaigns and involvements as advised by the Country Director
- Conducts media field visits to document AAU’s work in the media.
- Invite media personalities for training on issues related to AAU Program areas for better reporting.
- Monitors daily media articles for AAU mentions. Leads innovative approach adaptation, to offers alternative development models
- Supports in the placement of adverts in the media for various services
Production of periodic publications
- Support the production of quality and timely periodic newsletters (monthly, quarterly, annually etc.)
- Holds meetings with the different units to decide on the issue of focus for newsletter
- Designs articles and photos of newsletters for AAU brand in consultation with the Country Director
- Gathers content for the newsletter from the different writers.
- Manages and store reports, newsletters and photos for AAU use and reference
- Gather quality activity photographs for inclusion in the newsletters
- Reviews content, quality lay out of newsletters and have drafts approved before production
- Ensure that AAU’s articles and other publications are properly and professionally edited
- Guides and/or train staff and partners on quality report, articles and story writing skills of the people living in poverty and exclusion
Staff communication skills capacity building
- Support the roll out of capacity building initiatives on communication skills trainings to AAU staff and partners
- Collects, consolidates and shares key weekly updates to stakeholders
- Provides guidance on communication to staff and partners where and as necessary
- Conducts field visits and carries out hands on training on how to improve staff and partners communication skills
- Monitors the use and application of guidelines by field and national teams
- Updates and shares new developments in the communication sector as may be necessary
- In liaison with the Country Director to handle the international communications needs.
- Collects, reviews and designs the stories for the hub
- Posts stories, videos and photos on stories hub for international usage
- Shares latest news with HIVE administration for shared learning
- Monitors HIVE use and information posted
- Participates in skills sharing and feedback learning sessions
Support to AAU’s campaigns roll out
- Maintain oversight of all donor funded projects in collaboration with the Programme and Fundraising Manager in line with the AAU strategy
- Develops campaign messages and slogans
- Publicizes the campaign through the AAU communication platforms
- Develops a media plan for the publicity and roll out of the campaign in consultation with the Country Director
- Develops media scripts and liaise with the Country Director to identify the fight media channels
- Works with the Procurement & Logistics Officer to procure space and monitor the airing of the campaign
- Develops messages for the SMS platform
- Documents the different activities in the campaign
Promoting the corporate brand
- Ensure staff and partners adhere to AAI/U Brand essence and guidelines for visibility
- Ensures availability of diversified visibility materials in consultation with the Country Director
- Disseminates AAI/U brand guidelines to staff and partners
- Checks compliance to AAI/U brand guidelines by staff and partners
- Checks all materials produces by the Organisation for quality
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in either Information Science, Journalism/Mass Communications, Communications Science, Media Studies or Marketing from a recognised institution.
- A relevant postgraduate qualification would be an added advantage.
- At least three years of similar work experience from a reputable organisation
- Media or public relations experience
- Materials development and Publishing skills
- Excellent written and public speaking skills
- Photography and photo editing skills
- Graphic design and layout skills
- Marketing and communications skills
- Creative thinking and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated interest in the visual arts and community education
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop.
- Experience in managing websites
- Solid problem-solving skills
- Ability to conduct power analysis
- Transformative feminist leadership skills
- Ability to establish critical working relationships
- Ability and willingness to comply with AAU/AAI safeguarding requirements
How To Apply for ActionAid Uganda Jobs 2022
All suitably qualified and interested candidates shall submit their applications (Cover letter, CV, and certified academic documents) STRICTLY only by email to [email protected]
Closing Date: 12th June 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.