Job Title: Insectary Technician – Abt Associates Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: Abt Associates Uganda
Duty Station: Muni University in Arua City
Abt Associates Uganda Profile:
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Working under the supervision of the Entomology Field Coordinator, the Insectary Technician will support the MOH’s and Project’s IRS entomological monitoring studies and research activities in Uganda through the management of the mosquito insectary to rear susceptible malaria vectors (An. gambiae s.s.) as directed by the responsible officers. This position may require some limited visits to the field sites for mosquito collection.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Maintain and care for the insectary and the animal (rabbit) house on a daily basis.
- Ensure the feeding of the mosquito colony and laboratory (Rabbits) animals
- Ensure that enough susceptible mosquitoes are available for entomological monitoring activities whenever needed.
- Ensure that rabbits are readily available and healthy for feeding the mosquitoes.
- Ensure at all times that there are no crawling, walking, flying or resting insects or spiders in the insectary other than larval and adult mosquitoes in cages.
- Monitor the correct temperature and relative humidity in the insectary.
- Dress, care and maintain the mosquito cages.
- Ensure that the towels, mosquito cages and larval dishes are clean.
- Ensure the availability of consumables for the mosquitoes and rabbits.
- Budget for and request for the necessary consumables for the insectary.
- Ensure the appropriate storage of equipment and animal food.
- Adhere to the Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) for these activities.
- Restrict the unauthorized entry of visitors/personnel into the insectary and animal house.
- Keep the inventory and proper records of the insectary.
- Ensure proper functioning, maintenance, care and protection of insectary properties.
- Participate in project/ MOH vector control operational research activities.
- Compile reports of relevant entomological studies conducted and submit to the Field Entomology Coordinator
- Observe ethical and professional conduct according to the School of Entomology and Parasitology and Ministry of Health ethics.
- Observe confidentiality of the insectary data.
- Report any challenges encountered in the interest of the insectary immediately to NMCP, PMI VectorLink Project and Muni University authorities and Arua City Local authorities.
- Document any lessons learnt regarding the proper maintenance and functioning of the insectary
- Perform any other duty assigned by Abt Associates Inc.
- Diploma in Entomology and Parasitology.
- At least two years’ relevant experience in insectary management and related entomology activities.
- Ability to take initiative, make appropriate decisions and manage insectary effectively.
- Advanced written and oral skills in English.
- Excellent computer skills, computer software programs, including MSWord, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to coordinate well with personnel within and outside the project, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision.
How To Apply for Abt Associates Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: 6th January 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.